Monday, June 14, 2010

Week 2: Monday and Tuesday

Yesterday was the 150th anniversary of Savoie (the region of France we are in) being a part of France. Woooo.

We had class in the morning; it actually went by fairly quickly. I don't know what makes some days fast and other days slow, I think when we talk a lot about history I get bored. It's only interesting to me for so long, which is weird because I love reading historical fiction. I don't know. We did some grammar, presentations, and geography. We learned some interesting things about France. For example, over 2/3 of the population lives on the East side of the country. And Paris, the largest city, has 12 million people, which is ten times as big as the second largest city, Marseilles. Crazy.

Then canyoning was cancelled for some reason, we went to visit Jean-Jacques Rousseau’s house instead. He was a French writer, his house was pretty cool. Growing up I wanted to live in the 1700s so it was a glimpse into the life I wanted. The walk there took FOREVER, I sometimes I feel like we have to climb a mountain every time we want to go somewhere. The stuff looked pretty cool, and the gardens were SO pretty! Then we headed on the long walk back. Then we went to Carrefour and bought some water shoes for canyoning. And there’s a McDonalds in the same area as Carrefour so we walked over there and felt American for a half hour. I got a McFlurry, with chocolate syrup and kit-kats. Now that’s something you can’t get in America. It was pretty good. And it was so little, and only came in one size...No wonder we're so fat in America!



Then we came back and made some dinner and just hung out. We made French bread pizzas (haha, literally), it was interesting to do without an oven, but we made it work on the stove and they were delicious! I sliced my thumb while cutting the bread. I was really calm while holding my thumb until I saw the blood dripping through my hand. I just kept a lot of pressure on it and hoped that it would stop, and it did. Luckily it was on my left hand so the only thing I struggle to do is unbutton my pants, I’ve been being careful to not break it open again.

At 9:45 we met to go to the castle for the 150th year celebration. They had a lights show (that we weren’t allowed to bring cameras to) and it was SO cool. I wish I could have recorded some of it! Then we came home while some others went to Mojito, I still don’t think that some people fully understand that we have class at 9 AM.
--
Today was good. We had class with our grammar prof, I think she makes things more interesting. And she isn’t required to talk about history so that helps too. Class flew by today! And then canyoning was cancelled again, Guillaume told us that there was an orange alert for storms so we wouldn’t be going today, which was fine because it was cloudy, cold, and rainy today, so Anna and I didn’t really want to pay 35 Euros to be miserable. So now we can go and enjoy it!

That left us with the afternoon free so Anna and I made lunch and then ran some errands. I bought a French Bible for 8,50 Euros! Exciting stuff. Then we came back and went running. We were supposed to find a grocery store while running but after running 15-20 minutes in one direction we couldn’t find it, so we turned around and decided we would just have to use less cheese with our dinner. We got home, changed and then made “omelets” for dinner, which really just turned in to scrambled eggs because we didn’t have a spatula to fold and flip them. And then some fruit salad and toast, it was good. A bunch of people are getting sick but I figure me and Anna are pretty safe because we eat a ton of fruits and veggies every day. Gotta strive for five! :-P

Then we just hung out and didn’t do too much, it’s nice to have an off day every once in a while. I’m hoping to go to bed early tonight, I need more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment