Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Choux and futbol


Today was good!  We had class with Sabine so that made things go a little faster.  And I wasn’t as tired today too so it was just a lot better than yesterday.   We talked about Paris, did some grammar, and then acted some things out, it was random yet entertaining.  Then we did some reading and were then free for lunch!  We didn’t have any activity planned for this afternoon so Anna and I went to the atelier with the intermediate group.  It was cooking again!  While we waited to start I was just talking with Anna and Hope when this guy came over to talk to us.  His name is Louie.  He noticed we were speaking English and asked where we were from.  We told him America and he just happened to be wearing his shirt from the Lincoln (Nebraska) Marathon.  He’s a student at the university who grew up in Chambéry and we got to talk to him in French while he got to speak in English.  He was so excited and said “I love speaking English!” and we told him that’s perfect because we like speaking French.  It’s his birthday today and he invited us to the lake for a BBQ with his friends.  It was sweet and he’s definitely not creepy like the other French guys who have talked to us at bars or pubs or Mojito (I don’t know exactly how that place would be classified).  Due to lack of transportation we declined his offer but invited him to come watch the game with us at O’Cardinals at 4.
At the atelier we made potatoes with onions and turkey and cheese stuff, delicious and there weren’t a lot of people there so we each had plenty to bring home for dinner…and breakfast…and lunch…and probably dinner again.  We also made cookies and cream puffs (minus the cream for some reason).  It was a lot of fun and what else were we supposed to do?  Then it was off to watch France lose and end their world cup 2010 experience. 
It’s interesting, the story of the France team.  I’m sure it has reached the US but basically a player told off the coach (which I’ve been told is pretty common) and then he got kicked off the team.  In response the team didn’t attend practice this weekend so basically it’s this huge scandal and everyone here wanted them to lose.  Really, the bar cheered when South Africa scored and pathetically clapped when France scored (their one and only goal the entire world cup).  Mike was wearing his France jersey for a grand total of 2 minutes because a minute after he put it on a French couple came over and said something to him about it (I couldn’t hear from where I was), but he decided to take it off soon after.  Basically I hope the US wins tomorrow.  
 Louie showed up and hung out with the group of us.  After talking to him some more we learned that he had just gotten back from America a few weeks ago and he misses it.  He wants us all to do something for the 4th of July!  It’s cool to be able to talk to a French person who grew up here.  He said he was born in Chambéry and has lived here all his life.  Pretty cool.  He left to meet his friends and Jeffrey and I went to find ingredients for guacamole.  After that we went to return my Bible from last week (because I got one for 1.50 at church on Sunday!).  Then Anna, Jeffrey, Mike, Hope, and I had dinner together.  We just hung out and now a bunch of us are watching How I Met Your Mother.  It was a good day. 
France is so great.  Today I realized that I’m no longer translating the French in my mind while people speak, I just know what they’re saying.  My aural comprehension is definitely improving.  It’s great and I noticed it in Paris too while we were out and about.  And I LOVE being able to use my French skills!  I get excited when I’m confused at the train station or something because then I get to ask for help.  On Friday the man at the train station was so nice and people just like that we try to speak in French (and generally succeed).  The French always ask it we’re from England, and if not their next guess is Canadian.  They can tell by our accents that our first language is English but they just never ask if we’re from America because they don’t think Americans bother to speak French.  So we’re breaking stereotypes while we’re here.  And because we just begin by speaking in French instead of using English people are so much nicer.  Especially in Paris, there was a lady at the metro station who gladly helped us find the best deal on metro passes for the weekend (3,30 a day compared to the 20 euros everyone spent on a 3 day pass, she rocks).  It's cool, France is not like I thought it would be, but that's a good thing.  I was expected some hatred because of the US, but nope...it's sweet.

1 comment:

  1. i definitely learned the hard way to not wear my jersey. oh well haha

    ReplyDelete