Sunday, July 4, 2010

Geneva, Switzerland

We spent our day in Geneva today...it was beautiful! It was in the 80s and sunny all day, which was good yet draining! We arrived around 10:30 and had 7 hours to explore. We walked along the lake through a park type thing and headed for the United Nations European headquarters. The red cross museum was right across the street so we stopped in there too. By the time we were done with that we were super tired and ready for some food. Bad news EVERYTHING in Switzerland is SO expensive! We found a kebab place that was kind of reasonable, I got a panini for 7 Swiss francs, I got one last weekend for 3,50 euros a little under the equivalent of half the price.



After that we walked around. Anna, Hope, and Yvonne wanted to stop in stores so I went ahead with the guys from our group. We walked around, tried to find some sandals for Kris, and saw some more of Geneva. One of the mikes (there were three if them with us today) and Javier wanted to watch the Argentina game so they split off around 4 while kris, the other two mikes (well, Mike and Michael), and I went to walk under the giant fountain. I didn't actually go under cause I didn't want to be soaked but I held the boys' stuff while they got closer.



After that we walked back toward where the bus was picking us up to get some chocolate. We then went to a more expensive chocolatier to look and we each bought a truffle. One was 2 Swiss francs (a little under $2) but it was SO good! The lady there told us that the Swiss are known for their MILK chocolate. She told us that anyone can make a good dark chocolate, but only the Swiss can make a good milk chocolate. It was cool.

Then we came home, made some dinner, and then went to O'Cardinals to watch the Spain game. It was a good one. After that we all went running, which didn't involved much for me, my legs haven't felt this dead in SO long. I think it was all the biking, combined with walking allllll day today. Ugh. I'm glad I went though because we heard and then saw fireworks not too far away from the track we were running at. Like a little piece of home for the 4th :-) After we ran we just chilled in the park like the French people do. It was fun and nice. We talked to a couple French people who seemed to be a little younger than us, it was cool, and then we were just goofing off.

Tomorrow Anna and I will be spending the 4th in Evian alongside Lake Geneva (assuming it doesn't rain, say a prayer, it's supposed to!) This whole trip is so great, I love it and am starting to get sad to say goodbye to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment