Sunday, July 18, 2010

About my Time in Chambery...

So me and Anna are back on our own again.  It's weird.  We feel like we're just on one of our one day or weekend excursions and that tonight or tomorrow we'll return to all our friends in Chambery.  But that's not how it is.  It's weird and sad but I'm glad I still have Anna to turn to and say "remember when...." 

This whole summer has been such a unique experience and I truly feel that each and every person I came into contact with changed me.  Anna said it's cool to have known me and how I am at school but to then see me here, still similar to the me at school, but just more carefree and laid-back. This summer has just been so refreshing and amazing in so many ways.  I met so many great people, did so many things that I would never think to do at home (for example...canyoning, I just don't do things that aren't guaranteed to be safe), gotten to discover more of myself, and I've for sure grown closer to God.  It's amazing and I thank God everyday for bringing me here.  He has truly blessed me and looking back on the past 6 and a half weeks I see how he was there all along the way.  We have had such a good experience here so far, nothing has gone seriously wrong and even when things did (my camera breaking) I was able to just go with it and not stress out about it. Everyone's prayers are being answered, and this has been the most amazing experience of my life.

It's been so fun to just meet people, not only the Americans in our program but local French people or other people from other countries who are living in France.  It's funny to see the things that bond us together.  God, speaking English, speaking French, music, dancing...it's beautiful.  I'm constantly reminded that there are so many people in the world, I've grown up in this focused little bubble and it's just been amazing to expand my horizons and get out and experience the world. Before I left, Kelly Hall (my babysitter from growing up) told me that I would be addicted to traveling after this and she's right.  Several people told me how great of a time I would have over here and I expected to have fun and enjoy myself but I never expected to become so close to so many people so quickly, laughing constantly, or that I'd find myself just talking to complete strangers.  I'm usually skeptical of people, mostly just from living in Chicago, but I have honestly never felt threatened over here.  Yea when all the girls would be walking around town dressed up and stuff people would talk to us, but it was never worried for anyone.  And even about getting stuff stolen.  Yea, we were careful to hang on to our stuff in Paris but in other little cities people are just so trusting.  At the beach in Montpellier yesterday people would just leave their things in the sand and go in the water, not even thinking twice.  It's cool.  It's going to be so weird to go back home and get back into the routine of real life.  Although I miss it when i stop and think about home, I am excited to get to spend a few more days in Europe, and that Anna's here to reminisce with me...maybe I'll be sick of talking about it so that I don't drive you all nuts when I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment