Monday, July 5, 2010

Evian (yes, as in the bottled water)

Today Anna and I got up before 8AM to head to the train station to go to Evian.  Once we had realized we couldn't use our Eurail passes for Nice next weekend we decided to find two other cities to visit.  The first was Marseilles (last Saturday) and then for the second one we asked Guillaume what he would recommend, and he told us Evian is pretty.  So Evian it was!

It took us two trains, a bus, and over 3 hours to get there but we made it.  We had been nervous because yesterday I checked the weather and it said it would be thunderstorming all day.  And even this morning I checked the hour by hour forecast for Evian and it said 60-80% chance of rain allllllll day.  We got there and it wasn't even close.  I'm sunburnt on my face.  The only clouds in the sky were fluffy and looked like whipped cream on a beautiful blue sky. 



Gillaume was right, Evian is GORGEOUS.  The lake is right there, and it is SO clear.  The town is just adorable and it was just a great place to spend our day.  We walked around at first and came across a road of just shops and artists with their stuff out for sale.  It was so cool!  I wish I had all the money in the world because I totally would have bought something.  There were these candle holders that were like partially broken wine glasses with pedals on them so they looked like flowers.  The ladies selling them seriously looked like there were just sitting in a garden.  It was SO pretty. 



While walking we heard this great music and followed it. It was beautiful.  This band from sounthern England.  They were SO good.  Like I don't know how they're not famous.  They had a violin, two guitars, and a piano.  The two girl singers were twins and their voices blended beautifully with the main guys'.  We bought one of their CDs.  They were mostly just playing covers on the street but it was SO good.  And it was just a cute set up.  They were right in a little area outside a cafe where people were sitting and eating lunch, and it was on the same street as the artist-y stuff.  We talked to them a little and bought one of their CDs, I seriously want to just go to England to see one of their shows.  I'll have to remember for next time I return to Europe.  The band is called Lucid, check them out: Their MySpace and Their Website



We just walked around after that, soaking up how beautiful the town is.  We truly are blessed to have this experience!  We each bought a panini from a stand along the lake and sat in their chairs outside by the lake, we actually fell asleep for a little bit (which is probably why my face in sunburnt).  We then walked around some more and headed back to the train station to catch  our bus at 5:45.  We had another long trip back but eventually arrive in Chambery a little after 9.  When we got  off the train we saw one of our friends from around town.  He's living here with a family but is from Mexico, his name's Javo.  He's around a lot with us but I've never actually talked to him.  Anna and I talked to him for a but while we waited for his ride.  It was fun and funny.  I just love our whole experience here.  As Anna said, everything about today was cute. 

We made a late, yet much needed, dinner and then did our homework with Jeffrey.  We had to write a skit for class, I think it will go well.  Then I just came back to shower.  I feel like I always need to take a shower, it's been getting so hot and I'm always gross.  And the shower in my apartment is questionable so I don't even feel fully clean all the time.  Top that off with the fact that since we don't have dryers here my clothes all had to air dry, inside, so now they smell funny...I will say that as great as this I can't wait to feel clean, clean when I get home. 

Well enough about that, I'm pooped!  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment